Gus Wortham Park
Gus Wortham Park, 7000 Capitol, 77011
Gus Wortham Park Golf Course was originally built in 1908 as the Houston Country Club. In 1957 it became the Houston Executive Club and was purchased in 1972 by the City of Houston and renamed Gus Wortham Park Golf Course. It is the oldest 18-hole golf course in Texas, receiving continuous play for over 100 years. Gus Wortham Park Golf Course winds through a beautiful, wooded green space along Brays Bayou.
A large scale renovation plan was developed for the Park in 2010 thanks to funding from successful golf tournaments held by Congressman Gene Green, Commissioner Sylvia Garcia and Council Member James Rodriguez.
The renovation of the Park would provide significant economic stimulus for the historic and culturally rich East End. Friends of Gus Wortham Park is currently raising funds for the renovations.